A village located in the Western belt of Maharashtra, Tarkarli falls in the Malvan
Things to do in Tarkarli:
1) Spend a night in a houseboat
If you are looking for some peace and calm on your holiday to Tarkarli, make sure you spend at least one night in the houseboat. These houseboats sail through the backwaters of the Karli River that keep the boats steadily afloat, giving you the most calming experience in the midst of beautiful views.
2) Go snorkelling at Tarkarli Beach
Being surrounded by the Arabian sea and being on the Konkan coastline makes water sports most plausible here. Visit the beach and get your snorkelling gear on as this is the only place in Maharashtra where you can douse deep into the water to have a look at some of the most beautiful corals, a number of
3) Try out scuba diving at Tsunami Beach
Another water sport that is worth trying when you are here is scuba diving. Explore the underwater world that lives in the blue waters of Tarkarli. This experience will not only teach you about the different marine species but will also wake you up to the need for conserving these marine ecosystems.
If you are thinking about how safe it is to go scuba diving here, don’t worry as the scuba diving experts make sure you are jacketed well with properly functioning diving equipment. If you love water, don’t miss out these water sports in Tarkarli.
4) Admire the wildlife at Bison National Park in Dajipur
Dajipur is nestled along the border of the Sindhudurg and Kolhapur districts lying in Maharashtra and is home to Bison National Park which rests at an altitude of 1200
As you walk through the sanctuary, you will get to see wild animals like the bison, the wild deer, the chital, the
5) Hit the Tarkarli beach for some down time
The Tarkarli beach is one of the most well-known beaches and is
Sample the local Malvani Cuisine when in Tarkarli:
Food has got to be one of the main attractions at any given place. Malvani food is the main cuisine that is consumed widely in the Konkan regions and in Goa. To give a little insight into what exactly the cuisine is like, we would say it’s an interesting mix of the Maharashtrian and the Goan cuisines. If you like spicy food, you will fall in love with the Malvani cuisine.
Most of the Malvani dishes are prepared with a mix of dried red
Things you must try from the Malvani cuisine:
1) Kombdi Vade or Murgh Malvani which is a chicken curry (with bones) with deep fried Puris that is served with lemon, masala onions and solkadhi
2) Bangda Fry which is a dish made of the Bangda fish that is, the mackarel where the head of the fish is removed after which the remaining parts are deep fried.
3) Kavda Curry is a spicy curry with lots of masalas and is prepared from a local bird called khavda.
4) Paplet Saar which is pomfret prepared in a traditional Malvani fish curry.
1) Phanasachi bhaji which is a vegetable/ sabzi prepared with jackfruits, chillies and traditional masalas.
2) Kaju chi aamti which translates to cashewnut curry, this is a mildly spicy curry popular among the vegetarian malvans.
1) Solkadhi, a curry drink made with coconut milk and kokam which cools the body and digestive system after a heavy spicy Malvani meal. It is also said to be very energizing and is usually served with Kombdi vade.
1) Malvani Malpua, a very popular dessert especially during Ramzan, Malvani Malpuas are deep fried pancakes that are then soaked in a seasoned sugar syrup, making it the perfect item with which you can end your meal.
How to reach Tarkarli ?
Tarkarli can be reached from Goa, Mumbai and Pune very conveniently. The nearest train station is the Kudal station (about 45 minutes away), you can take the Konkan Express or the Mandowi Express which will drop you off at Kudal. From there, you can hire a private taxi or car to take you to Tarkarli.
Tip: If you are planning a longer holiday, you can plan a small road trip from Tarkarli to Goa which will take only about 4 hours via road.
Hotels in Malvan:
You might not find luxurious 5 star properties in Malvan but there are plenty beach houses and cottages in Malvan.
1) Hotel Simon King
This Malvan hotel is centrally located which makes it one of the most favourable hotels to stay at. The staff members at this hotel makes sure that you have a comfortable stay and are very courteous towards guests. This also happens to be one of the best budget hotels in Tarkarli.
Price range: Rs.1300/- to Rs.2000/-
2) Uttara Niwas
Uttara Niwas is located close to the Dandi beach, the Shri Dev Deveshwar temple and the newly opened Sea Water Park. Uttara Niwas has five air-conditioned rooms that are well furnished. You can also ask them to serve the authentic Malvani food during your stay and ask them to book Scuba Diving and other water sports for you.
Price Range: Rs.1200/- to Rs. 2500/-
Best time to visit:
The best time to visit Tarkarli is from the months of October through March. Would suggest you to avoid heavy rainfall months as it might ruin your outdoor activity plans and will affect the water
Now that you know about the beauty of Tarkarli, let me know what you are looking forward